For greater than fifty years comic books exhibited a profound influence
on youth attitudes and behaviors. In fact, so powerful that the
Comic Codes Authority was formed to provide decent and wholesome
comic books for youth. Thus, comic books are a natural and powerful
format to present health information to youth.
Characters that Get Up and Move!, Eat Fresh! and Save Your Breath!
will obtain the necessary “energy” to defeat the
Villains within and outside one’s body. Conquering these
inner battles provides the "energy" that enables X-treme
athletes to achieve goals in “outside” futuristic
X-treme sport physical activities. By defeating these global
villains they rescue the world from the evil Dr. Drain, who is
attempting to drain the world’s youth of their energy with
his disastrous machine, “The Drainer.”
Each issue addresses a main tenet of CDC guidelines to facilitate
physical activity for youth while overcoming barriers. These
issues also contain nutritional information to maintain proper
fuel levels for physical activity.
Participation in Physical Activities is Fun and Leads to More “ENERGY.”
• Community Facilities are Necessary for Youth Physical Activities.
• Importance of Family Physical Activity.
• School and Community Physical Activity Programs Provide Skills
and Opportunities to be Active.
Behavior-focused nutrition information on selecting proper nutrition
and practicing food safety:
• Undernutrition (Breakfast, Unsafe Weight loss Practices and Eating
• Variety of Foods (USDA Food Pyramid, 5-A-Day, Fresh, Unsalted,
• Overweight and Obesity (Balance Nutrition with Physical Activity)
• Chronic Disease Prevention (CVD, Diabetes, Cancer, Dental Caries)
• Safe Food Practices
• Prevent Initiation of Tobacco and Smokeless Tobacco Use
• Short/Long Term Negative Cosmetic and Social Consequences
• Behavioral Skills to Resist Social Influences
• Eliminate ETS Exposure
• Chronic Disease Prevention